News Briefs

‘Crossfire’ ends run at GW

Incoming freshmen and their families excited to see the famed screaming matches on CNN’s “Crossfire” will be disappointed after the show’s recent cancellation leaves a void in one of Colonial Inauguration’s must-see events.

The show, one of cable television’s longest-running programs and the first debate show of its kind, made its final broadcast June 4. Host James Carville offered “a big thank you to The George Washington University” for hosting the show for the last three years.

Carville and Robert Novak hosted the farewell show alongside host Paul Begala, who participated via satellite from Boston.

In 2002, “Crossfire” came to GW through a partnership with CNN that was developed by GW Vice President of Communications Michael Freedman and coordinating producer Heather Clapp Date. Since its arrival at GW, the show has aired 736 times from the Jack Morton Auditorium and employed 206 students as staff, interns and volunteers.

CNN President Jonathan Klein announced “Crossfire’s” cancellation in January in an effort to shift the network’s focus toward hard news. Since its debut in 1982, the show has worked to present both the conservative and liberal perspectives on numerous political issues, oftentimes breaking into intense and raucous debate.

In October 2004, several months before Klein announced plans to axe “Crossfire,” comedian Stewart appeared on the show and blasted it, saying the often over-the-top debate was “hurting America.”

On the Friday afternoon of the hosts’ final broadcast, friendly handshakes and hearty laughter pervaded the studio in a performance that lacked its famous partisanship.

Freedman, a former CBS executive, was jubilant as he discussed the show’s run at GW. Last month, Freedman said he was “absolutely confident” that the CNN-GW relationship would continue in the form of another show.

Originally “Inside Politics” was planned to replace “Crossfire” at GW, but that show will soon be canceled in the wake of host Judy Woodruff’s decision against renewing her contract.

A block of programming from 3 to 6 p.m. hosted by Wolf Blitzer will replace the two shows.

-Christina Mueller

Alumna writes GW guidebook

When incoming freshmen arrive on campus in the fall, they might come to know a GW that is a little different from what they were expecting.

College Prowler, a publisher of student-written college guidebooks, is aiming to give students the real deal on colleges by reviewing universities from a student-only perspective. With 200 guidebooks to colleges, the book about GW is a recent addition.

Julie Gordon, a 2004 graduate and former Hatchet news editor, wrote the GW guidebook for College Prowler during her senior year. The 160-page book, which is number seven on the College Prowler list of best sellers, has hundreds of students quotes about a variety of aspects of campus life, such as academics, nightlife, facilities and the drug scene.

“I think if people could get one thing out of the book it’s that GW isn’t really what you’d expect,” Gordon said.

“GW Off the Record” is on sale for $14.95 at the GW Bookstore, http://www.collegeprowler.com, http://www.amazon.com and http://www.barnesandnoble.com

-Caitlin Carroll