WEB UPDATE: ‘Deep Throat’ from Watergate scandal is GW alumnus

Posted Tuesday, May 31, 9:35 p.m. Move over Hall on Virginia Avenue, GW now has another, more surprising connection to the Watergate scandal that brought down the Nixon presidency.

W. Mark Felt, an FBI associate director who graduated from the GW Law School in 1940, provided crucial information about the scandal to Washington Post reporters Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein under the pseudonym “Deep Throat,” whose identity has been a source of great speculation for more than 30 years.

In an article appearing on Vanity Fair’s Web site Tuesday, Felt told a journalist, “I’m the guy they called ‘Deep Throat.'” Woodward and Bernstein, who had sworn not to reveal “Deep Throat’s” identity until he died, confirmed his claims late Tuesday afternoon in a Post article.

Felt, now 91 and said to be in declining health, received his bachelor of laws degree from GW in 1940, Matt Nehmer, the University’s assistant director of media relations, said. Without the senior FBI official’s help, it is doubtful that Woodward and Bernstein could have uncovered the machinations following the June 17, 1972, break-in of Democratic National Committee headquarters, located in the Watergate complex. The burglars used room 723 in the Virginia Avenue Howard Johnson Hotel, now the freshman dorm HOVA, as a lookout point.

Some media organizations reported the news of Felt’s revelation from HOVA, Nehmer said. The information provided by Felt led to a series of articles by Woodward and Bernstein that uncovered President Richard Nixon’s role in the decision to burglarize the DNC offices in the Foggy Bottom complex. Media pressure and the threat of impeachment that resulted from the articles led to Nixon’s resignation in 1974.