BREAKING NEWS: City and University officials investigate suicide outside Munson

Posted Friday, June 10, 9:55 a.m.
Updated Monday, June 13, 10:36 a.m.
Metropolitan Police and the D.C. Fire Department are investigating a suicide after finding a body in an alley behind Munson Hall, fire department spokesman Alan Etter said. In a statement released at about 4:30 p.m., GW spokesman Matt Lindsay said the victim is a middle-aged man who is believed to have no affiliation with the University.

MPD officials would not confirm Etter’s report, saying it was too early in the investigation to come to the conclusion that a man took his own life. Lindsay said officials believe the man may have fallen from the top floor of a parking garage. The incident is being treated as a possible suicide.

“There’s the possibility of a possible jumper,” MPD public information officer Junis Fletcher said in a phone interview at 9:30 a.m., shortly after police arrived on the scene. “We’re getting on the scene. We’re investigating.”

At about 8:45 a.m., residents of a third-floor Munson room called police after noticing a lifeless body outside their room in the alley behind the dorm. More than a dozen University Police and MPD officers responded to the call, and concentrated their investigation on the parking garage and its roof. Munson residents said they do not have access to the roof of their building, located on I Street between 22nd and 23rd streets.

Members of the GW Office of Residential Life and Education have met with Munson Hall occupants, and the University Counseling Center is offering its services. At 6 p.m. Campus Community Director Erik Anderson told Munson residents that no identification was found on the man’s body. He also said the estimated time of death was between 8:30 and 9 a.m. and there was no foul play involved. As of Friday night, the man had not yet been identified, a representative from the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner said Monday morning.

-Maura Judkis contributed to this report.

Visit www.gwhatchet.com as more details about this story become available.