GW Briefs

MPD arrests drifter for attack of elderly Foggy Bottom woman

A homeless man was arrested May 7 in connection with the beating and robbery of an 83-year-old woman next to campus two weeks ago.

According to a press release on the Metropolitan Police Web site, officers detained 46-year-old James Aloysious Dorsey for allegedly assaulting a female acquaintance in an unrelated incident. Police charged Dorsey for the May 7 broad-daylight attack of the elderly Foggy Bottom woman.

The beating and robbery took place on the 700 block of 24 Street N.W., an area of residential Foggy Bottom that lies directly across the street from the west side of New Hall. The woman was moved to an area hospital in stable condition, and police offered a $22,000 reward for information leading to an arrest in the case.

“It’s just a horrendous crime that involves a physical attack resulting in injury to one of our community’s senior citizens,” said Kenneth Bryson, an MPD public information officer. “It’s just a horrendous, horrendous crime.”

Student detained for threat with BB gun

Metropolitan Police officers arrested a male Hall on Virginia Avenue resident on the afternoon of May 8 after he allegedly made threats that he would use a firearm on a student.

The freshman was seen wielding a plastic BB gun in the residence hall prior to his arrest, which occurred at about 3 p.m. Some students heard him say he would make threats with a gun; shortly thereafter, MPD and University Police arrived at HOVA.

“This individual made felony-level threats against another person, and this is why MPD was contacted, and this is why he was arrested,” said Tracy Schario, the University’s director of media relations, who would not disclose the student’s name.

In an e-mail sent to The Hatchet Monday, UPD Chief Dolores Stafford said the male suspect verbally threatened a female HOVA resident and sent her a hostile e-mail. After receiving tips from students, UPD and Community Living and Learning Center staff conducted a search of the freshman’s room while he was out. The student returned while officials were still on scene and was subsequently arrested.

Stafford added that the search yielded alcohol, a container with marijuana residue, a hot plate and other miscellaneous items.

-Gabriel Okolski

Luther Brady gallery hosts small print exhibit

GW’s Luther Brady Art Gallery will host works of notable artists including Francisco Goya, Rembrandt van Rijn and James McNeil Whistler in an exhibition running through June 3.

The gallery, located on the second floor of the Media and Public Affairs building, is playing host to the “Intimate Treasures” exhibition. On display are approximately 60 small prints on loan from members of the Washington Print Club for the group’s 18th biennial.

One of the gallery’s most notable works is Goya’s “Asta su Abuelo,” an etching from the Spanish artist’s famous “Los Caprichos” series. Another print, at a size of about one-inch square, truly embraces the intimate theme and requires the viewer to use a magnifying glass to see its detail.

Organizers encourage visitors to lean in closely and explore the intricacies of the prints.

“For those who do take the time, their quiet contemplation will be richly rewarded,” organizer Chris With wrote in the gallery guide.

The gallery is open Tuesdays through Fridays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. On Saturday, May 21, the day before Commencement, the gallery will have extended hours from noon to 4 p.m., and an extended walk-through will be given from 1 to 2 p.m.

-Ryan Holeywell