Basketball teams announce recruits

After months of speculation, men’s basketball head coach Karl Hobbs and women’s head coach Joe McKeown announced this year’s recruiting class.

On May 10, Hobbs announced the signing of Chester, Pa., native Noel Wilmore as the team’s final recruit for next year. Wilmore will join swingmen Montrel McDonald and Robert Diggs in a much-anticipated recruiting class.

McKeown released his recruiting class of five, which includes Washington natives and twins Jessica and Jazmine Adair, who will join Jamilia Bates, Chantelle John, and Faith Peters.

Wilmore, considered by many as one of the best shooters in the Philadelphia area, shot 52.4 percent from the field during his senior year. He was 45.9 percent from three-point range while setting his high school’s record for treys in a game and in a season. The 6-foot-4 guard averaged 16.9 points and 4.6 rebounds as a senior at Chester High School.

McDonald, a six-foot-six-inch guard, spent his senior year at Bridgton Academy in Maine honing his skills after a successful high school career in Fort Worth, Texas. McDonald averaged 20 points, 12 rebounds, 4.5 blocks, and four assists per game at O.D. Wyatt High School before leaving for the New England prep school. The guard’s coach at O.D. Wyatt, Archie Meyers, said McDonald will make a good transition to the college game.

“If you play up-tempo, then it would it would fit his style well,” Myers told The Hatchet in September. “He’s got great court awareness, he could just be a dominant player with his athleticism.”

Diggs, a Clinton, Md., native, averaged 16.5 points per game and played in the Capital Classic in April, scoring 14 points.

On the women’s side, McKeown characterized the class as one of his best in a long time. The Adair twins are the blockbuster recruits of the program, hailing from Anacostia High School.

The 6-foor-4 Jessica Adair was named DCIAA All-East team and became the first player in Anacostia history to score more than 1,000 career points. Her senior year, she averaged 17 points and 15 rebounds per game. Jessica was a Street & Smith Preseason Honorable Mention All-American. Jazmine, her twin sister, averaged 11 points and 13 rebounds per game.

Bates, a Seattle native, led her school to the Class 4A state championship this past season. She averaged 9.1 points and 9.4 rebounds during her senior year. Chantelle John, the only Massachusetts resident on the GW squad next year, played for the Canadian Junior National Team that qualified for the FIBA U-19 World Championship for the first time in history. John’s height will help fill the void that the 6-foot-1 graduating senior Anna Montana?a leaves.

Peters, a Louisiana native, averaged nearly 20 points during her senior year