WEB UPDATE: Baseball sweeps George Mason

Posted Wednesday, May 11, 11 a.m. The GW baseball team won its third straight game Tuesday, defeating George Mason 6-4 at Spuhler Field in Fairfax, Va. The victory secured the season sweep of the Patriots for the second straight year.

“We hit the ball well today,” GW head coach Steve Mrowka said Tuesday. “We made hard outs and even though it doesn’t show up on the stat sheet it was one of our best-hitting games all season.”

The victory also keeps alive the Colonials (33-16, 12-5 Atlantic 10) hope of winning 40 regular season games. GW will need to win all seven games remaining on its regular season schedule to reach the mark for the second straight season.

Freshman Brian Frazier kept up his winning ways, moving to 7-0 on the season. Frazier allowed just four runs, three earned, over seven innings while striking out seven Patriots (30-17).

“Frazier was impressive today,” Mrowka said. “We played a hot team that had (a) good hitting streak going, and he held them off long enough for us to score.”

Senior Avi Rasowsky pitched a scoreless eighth inning and in the ninth, freshman Joel Brookens came in and picked up his fifth save of the season.

The Colonials trailed 2-1 going into the top of the fourth inning, but a three-run fourth and two run fifth put GW ahead for good. Senior Ryan Roberson was 2-for-4 with an RBI double. Senior Brad Rosenblat (1-for-5) hit his team-high 15th double of the season in the victory.

GW, which currently holds first place in the A-10 West, will look to clinch a spot in the 2005 A-10 Championship this weekend when its squares off against La Salle (17-26, 8-10 A-10). The Colonials need to win two of three games against the Explorers to clinch a spot in the tournament.

“It’s important because we know we can clinch a playoff spot with two wins,” Mrowka said. “We have Richmond and Dayton right on our tail for first place, so it’s a big series. Hopefully we can win it and then go beat Temple as well.”

The teams will play Friday at Barcroft Park at 5 p.m. followed by a doubleheader on Saturday beginning at noon.

“The Friday-Saturday helps our team because we have played better on the single game days,’ Mrowka said.

Mrowka hopes to have Derek Lutz back from injury but said if he is not ready he will use Dan Pfau as a spot starter. Mrowka named Dan Sullivan and Josh Wilkie as his Saturday starters.