Star Wars to Premiere in D.C. for Charity

One might call the upcoming Washington, D.C., premiere of the final Star Wars movie “Episode III: Revenge of the Altruists.” On May 12, one week before the film’s nationwide release, “Star Wars: Episode III” will premiere at a charity event benefiting the Children’s Defense Fund.

Carrie Fisher, known best to film fans as the original Star Wars trilogy’s Princess Leia, will be at the premiere, along with the Fund’s CEO, Marian Wright Edelman, and other local elected officials. The red carpet will be flanked by fans dressed as Imperial Stormtroopers and Jedi Knights from the Southwest Elite and the 501st Old Line Garrison.

The Children’s Defense Fund, whose Web site explains that its mission is “to ensure every child a healthy start, a head start, a fair start, a safe start and a moral start,” is an advocacy group dedicated to the empowerment of poor, minority and disabled children.

In a press release, “Episode III” writer-director George Lucas said, “These charitable organizations are the leaders in direct services and advocacy for children and families. I’m delighted that the screenings can help these amazing organizations, which do such important work.”

The screening will begin at 7:30 pm, Thursday, May 12, at the Loews Cineplex Uptown Theatre. General admission tickets cost $250 and VIP tickets are $500; tickets can be purchased by calling (202) 662-3514.