Rocking for relief

Since the disaster in Southeast Asia, the world has seen an outpouring of charity and generosity from many artists. The latest group to latch on to this beneficial cause is D.C.-bred rockers The Walkmen, who will bring their critically hailed, chaotic sounds to the gymnasium of their former alma mater, St. Albans School, near the National Cathedral.

The show, whose proceeds will go to the Save The Children tsunami fund, was organized in part by lead singer Hamilton Leithauser’s mother. It will also feature a high school band and St. Albans teacher as opening acts.

Playing charity concerts isn’t really anything new to the Walkmen. Leithauser reminisced on how he and band mates planted their roots playing other charity benefits at age 14 or 15 in D.C. “That was the only things we ever got to play. ”

Leithauser explained that after a while, he became frustrated with a lack of quality local gigs. “There’s not that many places to play. You’re literally playing at coffee houses – (which) was like a big gig for us. And then we’d play like area high schools, but the 9:30 Club and the Black Cat wouldn’t ever let us play there.”

Rather than calling it quits, the members packed up and moved to New York, where they soon built their own studio (Marcata Recording). By in an old car factory in Manhattan. By recording in an analog format as opposed to digital, the band’s sound comes off with a vintage flare comparable to that of the White Stripes, which also happened to use the same producer. On the song “The Rat” from Bows + Arrows (2004), a steady bass and guitar riff repeats as Barrick lays down heavy irregular snare beats, fitting perfectly with Leithauser’s unique vocal styling and frighteningly emotional lyrics.

As the Walkmen continue to tour both here and abroad, they have steadily gained popularity among college students and garnered mainstream TV and radio airplay. Another album is in the works, but don’t expect to see it on shelves anytime soon. “It’s going pretty slowly right now,” Leithauser said, “but we have about six songs on the way now.”

The Walkmen will play Lollapalooza in Chicago this summer alongside Weezer, The Pixies, The Killers and more. Until then, they’re preparing for this special homecoming to rock out for a good cause.

The Walkmen will play at the St. Albans School on May 20. Doors open at 8:00 p.m. $15 in advance, $20 at the door.