Hoyas sweep Colonials

BETHESDA, Md. – For the first time in 22 years, the GW baseball team was swept by Georgetown during the teams’ annual season series. The Colonials dropped both ends of a home-and-home, losing 9-5 Wednesday at Shirley Povich Field and 10-8 on Tuesday at Barcroft Park.

“Georgetown really came out and hit the ball well,” GW head coach Steve Mrowka said Wednesday. “Yesterday we hung with them but tonight we just couldn’t get going.”

Wednesday night at Shirley Povich Field in Bethesda, Md., Georgetown’s (24-25) offense roared out to 9-0 lead. Senior Avi Rasowsky struggled over four-plus innings, allowing six runs. It was Rasowsky’s second loss of the season. Senior Nate CasaGrande also took the mound but struggled, allowing three runs over just two and two-thirds innings.

In the top of the ninth inning, the Colonials (30-15, 10-5 A-10) mounted an offensive splurge, scoring all five of their runs in the inning. But the runs were too little too late.

Senior Ryan Roberson went 3-for-5 and drove in two runners. Georgetown pitchers collected 12 strikeouts in the contest.

“I don’t think we took Georgetown too lightly, but we obviously weren’t coming out prepared,” senior Brad Rosenblat said.

Tuesday, the Colonials were not able to use home field to their benefit, losing 10-8 to the Hoyas. In the top of the ninth, Georgetown scored two runs off junior reliever Dan Pfau to pull ahead for good.

Freshman Brian Frazier started the game for the Colonials but was not sharp, allowing eight runs, seven earned, over five and two-thirds innings.

The Hoyas led 4-0 after three and half innings before the Colonials awoke for three runs in the bottom of the third.

In the bottom of the fourth, Rosenblat hit a leadoff home run to tie the game at four. The home run was his A-10-leading 15th of the seazier gave up four more runs in the top of the sixth but the Colonials were able to tie the game 8-8 in their half of the inning.

But in the ninth, Pfau gave up four hits, including two doubles, as Georgetown grabbed a 10-8 lead.

Pfau was dealt his third loss of the season. Freshman Josh Goldberg was 3-for-5 with two doubles and two RBI.

“They just came out and hit the ball and did their thing,” Mrowka said.

The Colonials travel this weekend to Ohio to face-off against A-10 West basement-dweller Xavier (17-27, 7-11 A-10). The teams will play a doubleheader Saturday and then close out the series Sunday. GW swept last season’s three-game series.

“They are fighting and scraping to make the playoffs just like we are,” Mrowka said. “I guarantee these are going to be three very tough games.”

“Every conference series is huge, so I think we will be ready,” Rosenblat added.

Next Tuesday at 3 p.m. the Colonials will travel to George Mason (27-16) looking to sweep the season series from the Patriots. GW won the first game of the series 11-5 on March 4.