Greek Briefs

Fraternity sponsors book sales in Kogan

The Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity raised more than $7,000 for Turning the Page with its third annual Carpe Librum, a three-day book sale held last week in Kogan Plaza.

Organizations, businesses and individuals donated the books. The fraternity started the book collection in the greater D.C. area a few months ago and began collecting books at GW at the beginning of April.

“Because of overwhelming support from businesses and organizations in D.C., Turning the Page will be able to fund its activities for the next year at eight different D.C. public schools,” Tau Kappa Epsilon member Pat Dean said.

Volunteers from the National Civilian Community Corps helped collect the donated books and separate them into genres. Tau Kappa Epsilon members transported the books to campus.

“The brothers of Tau Kappa Epsilon worked as the manpower to transport the books and unload them in Kogan Plaza,” Dean said.

Turning the Page is a nonprofit organization that works with D.C. public school students to improve their reading skills. Turning the Page also sponsors programs called “community nights” and invites famous professionals in the field of writing, such as children’s authors or librarians, to work with and speak to public school students.

-Jessica Calefati