GW Briefs

Freshman organizes glasses drive

Freshman Ayano Ioroi is calling on students to donate eyeglasses and sunglasses for her summer service trip to Ghana, where she will educate villagers about proper eye care.

She hopes to collect 300 pairs of glasses and raise $300 before she leaves for the African country with the Unite for Sight volunteer project.

Ioroi said it has been difficult for her to get donations because she does not have any family in the United States. Ioroi is from from Japan and one of only three students in the country participating in the service trip.

Ioroi will train with an eye doctor in Accra, the capital of Ghana, in order to pass a test as a healthcare educator before going to a small village to educate adults and children about proper eye healthcare.

The donated money – she has already raised $200 – will allow for laser eye surgery for those who cannot afford it, as well as help with transportation costs. Ioroi said it costs $50 to get laser eye surgery in Africa, which is expensive for most of the population.

Unite for Sight collects sunglasses and regular eyeglasses because they are a “good tool to prevent eye disease,” she said.

Ioroi also works for the Neighbors Project at GW, serving food to the homeless at Miriam’s Kitchen. She hopes to enter a career in international development.

Unite for Sight is a non-profit organization that sends volunteers to 25 countries to provide eye health education to communities that lack access to healthcare. Unite for Sight has a chapter at GW. So far Ioroi has collected 100 pairs of glasses. To donate, e-mail [email protected].

-Natalie Gontcharova

Troubadours win top prize at a capella battle

GW’s seven a cappella groups sang for top honors Thursday night at the annual Battle of the A Cappella Groups.

The Troubadours, a co-ed group, took home the top prize of best all-around group.

Emocapella, the GW Pitches, the GW Vibes, Shiluv, the Sirens and Sons of Pitch were the other groups competing in seven categories for the third annual event, organized by the Class Council.

“I love this event,” said Tim Miller, Student Activities Center director. “It was very hard to decide who should win.”

The Class Council asked Miller to be part of a six-member judging panel, which included a math professor, GW a cappella group alumni and student a cappella performers from American University.

Each group performed three songs, ranging from Destiny’s Child’s “Survivor” by the all-female Sirens, to a song in Hebrew by GW’s newest a cappella group, Shiluv.

The Sirens’ imitation of the popular trio won them the award for best dance moves, while Shiluv was awarded best outfits for their changes from black t-shirts and neckties to sunglasses, berets and yellow bandannas for their final Israeli rap.

Emocapella, an all-male group self-described as “serenading young women with ballads of their broken hearts,” is flattered by the fan base that GW’s a cappella groups have acquired.

Sophomore Mary Thomasson has seen the group perform at several concerts on campus. She said she came to the battle for a second year because “I think the Sons of Pitch are really cute.”

Friends and admirers such as Thomasson nearly filled the 300-seat Marvin Center Ballroom.

-Jessica Denson