Baseball completes season sweep of James Madison

The GW baseball team came back from a four-run deficit for an 8-7 victory over James Madison University at Barcroft Park on Wednesday. The victory made it a season sweep of the Dukes. The Colonials (26-13, 7-5 Atlantic 10) won the first match-up of the year 8-4 in 11 innings.

“We came out a little slow, their pitcher was really holding us down,” head coach Steve Mrowka said. “We kept it close enough and then put up six runs.”

Freshman Brian Frazier kept GW within striking distance of James Madison (17-24), allowing four runs over six innings. The Colonials caught up with the pitcher in the bottom of the sixth inning, breaking through for six runs.

The inning was capped off by a two-run double by senior catcher Joe Michalski to put the Colonials in front 5-4.

In the eighth, the Colonials were nursing a 6-5 lead when junior Matt Owens hit a two-run homer to extend the lead to 8-5.

Junior closer Dan Pfau entered the game in the ninth and gave up a two-run homer as GW’s lead was cut to one. With no outs in the inning, Pfau settled down and closed out the game picking, up his fourth save of the season.

Frazier picked up the win, his sixth of the year.

Redshirt freshman Josh Goldberg went 2-for-2 and drove in one RBI. Senior Brad Rosenblat was 2-for-4 while driving in his league-leading 48th RBI of the season.

GW has won 6-of-7 and returns to action Thursday at 3 p.m. in a make-up game with Delaware (19-19) at Barcroft Park.

This weekend the Colonials will host A-10 West leader Dayton (22-15, 9-3 A-10) for a three-game set. The Saturday doubleheader will begin at noon.

GW is two games back in the loss column to the Flyers.

“We have a lot to prove this weekend,” Mrowka said. “We have to go out there and try to win the first game and see if we can win the series. We are the underdogs this weekend.”

Roberson on his way back

Senior slugger Ryan Roberson missed his sixth straight game Wednesday. The first baseman is recovering from a hamstring injury, which he suffered at Richmond on April 17. Mrowka is optimistic but cautious about getting the Colonials clean-up hitter back.

He said, “He is getting a lot closer and is getting strength back in the muscle. He has been able to move better the last couple of days and he might be able to DH this weekend. But we don’t want to rush him back.”