GW Briefs

Bush picks alumnus for top military post

President Bush picked a GW alumnus last week to serve as the next chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the highest-ranking military officer.

Peter Pace, who received a master’s degree in business administration from GW, would also be the first Marine to serve as the president’s top military adviser if the Senate confirms his appointment. Pace, who graduated from the Naval Academy in 1967, was also an infantry officer in Vietnam.

He served as the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff for three and a half years under Chairman Richard Myers, whose term is due to end in September. Pace is expected to receive confirmation from the Senate.

Alumnus to carry GW banner into space

A GW alumnus will carry the University’s banner to outer space when he travels onboard NASA’s “Return to Flight” mission, according to a University news release.

Charles Camarda, who earned his master’s degree from the School of Engineering and Applied Science, is set to be one of the crew members on a mission to experiment with space shuttle technology and ensure its safety.

The mission is the first manned flight since the shuttle Columbia exploded in February 2003, killing seven astronauts. The “Return to Flight” mission is scheduled to lift off in May.

Camarda will store a GW banner in the space shuttle during the mission and plans to give it to the University to mount in the Alumni House when he returns. Camarda will also be a featured guest next fall in the “How do I Become A …” series.

-Caitlin Carroll