Redefining College Rock

Scrounging for cash is nothing new to Bethesda rockers Kenin. Fresh out of Duke University, lead singer/guitarist Sean Gaiser and drummer Devin McGaughey formed Kenin about four years ago and said they’ve kept their day jobs to get by.

The well-blended mix of acoustic guitar and dominant rock on Kenin’s fourth album, Just Another Blast, stands out from their influences such as Guster, O.A.R, and Dispatch. Kenin’s lengthy jams and many of their tracks separate them from the usual college rock genre.

The jam rock sound plays out best during their live shows, where the group likes to perform longer sets and feed off the crowd’s enthusiasm.

“This sounds kind of clich?, but what people say about playing in front of a live crow is really true. It’s awesome when people get into the music, and then we sort of build energy off of each other,” McGaughey said in an interview.

While onstage, Kenin incorporates many different instruments to emphasize the strength of the band’s percussion section. An avid traveler, McGaughey said he finds unique instruments around the world and builds the new beats into the music. Bullough added, “Devin will come back with all these random instruments and we’ll just use them in new songs and during shows.”

Kenin will headline its second show at the 9:30 Club Saturday with Hotspur.