Monta?ana goes undrafted by WNBA teams

Graduating women’s basketball player Anna Monta?ana was surprised to watch the WNBA draft take place Saturday without hearing her name called. But the forward said she has not given up on her professional aspirations, and is considering playing in Europe.

“I was very disappointed,” Monta?ana said. “I thought I was going to go at least in the third round.”

“I am still deciding with my agent (whether or not I’ll play in Europe),” she added. “I will make a decision by (early this week).”

GW coach Joe McKeown had an optimistic outlook despite Monta?ana going undrafted.

“In some respects after the first round and a half its better not to be drafted because it’s going to be very tough to make the team,” McKeown said. “She has some flexibility now because she can go to a place that has a lot of interest and try to make the team.”

On draft day, WNBA commentator Lisa Lobo said “there was less talent then years past so teams are trying filling holes in their rosters.” After all 39 players had been selected, Monta?ana was still available.

“People try to compare the WNBA to the NBA, but the NBA has 32 teams and the WNBA has just 12,” McKeown said. “There aren’t many jobs because there isn’t a lot of room. So when 40 college players come out and add in the Australian and European players it’s a very small market.”

No Atlantic 10 players were drafted.

Monta?ana, who hails from Spain, could catch on in Europe next fall. Her citizenship and language skills could help her win a spot on one of 21 EuroLeague teams.

“She is someone, with her European citizenship, that will demand a lot of value,” McKeown said. “I don’t think she will have a problem.”

Two former Colonials will be in WNBA training camps this summer. Cathy Joens was recently signed by the Washington Mystics. She spent the last year playing in the Spanish premier league. Another 2004 graduate, Ugo Oha, who spent the last year playing in Israel, will be in camp with the San Antonio Silver Stars.