GW Briefs

District Market stops selling cages bird eggs

District Market discontinued selling eggs from caged birds after a student petition called for the on-campus grocery store to terminate its sales.

Students brought the petition, which had more than 1,000 signatures, before Aramark about six weeks ago. Aramark operates the Marvin Center’s dining venues.

Aramark then met with students and representatives from the Humane Society to consider the feasibility of selling an alternative brand of eggs. District Market now sells eggs from the organic foods company Giving Nature, which provides eggs from free-range birds.

About 98 percent of eggs sold nationwide are from caged birds, which are kept in “battery cages” where the hens do not even have space to flap their wings, the United States Humane Society said in a statement.

“Aramark continuously takes into consideration the opinions and preferences of students and the campus community,” Aramark representative Leanne Scott Brown wrote in an e-mail. “Further, District Market offers a wide variety of organic products, and this was another product we could add to expand the organics offered.”

District Market sells about 2,400 eggs a week.

Alumnus to give pointers on real estate business

Alumnus Josh N. Kuriloff will reveal how he became a real estate tycoon in New York when he is the featured guest in the last installment of the “How to Become a …” series Monday.

The event, “How to Become a Manhattan Real Estate Mogul,” is organized by Class Council and the Office of Alumni Programs. The two previous events in the series, “How to become a Secret Agent” and “How to Become a New York Times Investigative Journalist,” each drew about 100 students.

Kuriloff graduated from GW’s Business School in 1981 and is the executive vice president of the real estate brokerage firm Cushman & Wakefield. He has been named as one of the firm’s top brokers for the past 10 years. Kuriloff has also published articles in The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times.

The event will begin at 8 p.m. in Elliott School of International Affairs building Room B12. It is free and does not require an R.S.V.P.

-Caitlin Carroll