Lacrosse’s win streak ends at five

A 9-8 loss to Duquesne Sunday at the Mount Vernon Athletic Complex snapped the GW lacrosse team’s five game win streak. On Friday, the Colonials were on the opposing end of a close one, beating St. Bonaventure 9-8.

GW (9-3, 3-1 Atlantic 10) battled Duquesne throughout, but ended up falling in overtime when Laura App scored the winning goal with 1:02 left. Senior Megan McDonough had a strong game for GW, scoring a goal and notching two assists.

Friday, sophomore Laura Hostetler (three goals) and senior Jamie Lee (two goals) had strong performances for GW. The win gave GW its ninth of the spring. With the win, the Colonials set a new record for wins in a season (nine) and wins in a row (five).

With the game tied 8-8 and the clock ticking down, freshman Katelyn Honeyford scored the game-winning goal at 58:16.

“I’m not used to being on the offense because I’m a defender,” said an elated Honeyford. “I just sort of caught the ball and made it.”

St. Bonaventure (7-2, 0-2 A-10) scored the first. But power midfielder Lauren Hostetler quickly struck back, scoring GW’s first goal 6:37 into the match. Then, the game see sawed, as the teams went into the half tied at 4.

“At halftime we knew we had to clean up our game,” junior Colleen Schmidt said. “We didn’t want to play down a level because we are clearly the better team. All we knew is we wanted to kill them.”

Thirty seconds into the second half St. Bonaventure scored a goal to take the lead, but GW came back to take the lead with two quick goals. The teams fought to a stalemate the rest of the way before Honeyford’s heroics.

“The beginning of the season is not as important,” Schmidt said. “This is what counts. This was a really big win for us.”