GW Briefs

Monumental early-bird tickets on sale until April 15

Seniors have until April 15 to buy reduced-priced tickets to GW’s annual graduation bash, Monumental Celebration.

Early-bird tickets for the 2005 Commencement party are $49 for graduating seniors and $55 for everyone else. They can be purchased at http://gwired.gwu.edu/monumental. After April 15, seniors and all other guests will pay $55 and $65, respectively.

University officials lowered the price of this year’s event and offered the early-bird special because the 2004 Monumental drew 1,500 fewer guests than the 2003 celebration.

They also flirted with moving the celebration to the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History, but decided against a move after a survey found that most seniors wanted to party in Union Station’s classically styled lobby.

The event will take place the night before the May 22 Commencement ceremony on The Ellipse.

-Michael Barnett

School of Public Health to pay students to quit smoking

GW’s School of Public Health and Health Services and the National Institute of Health are sponsoring a program that will pay students to participate in a study to help them quit smoking.

Students will receive up to $45 for filling out surveys. Participants will also attend a meeting to devise a self-help plan.

Students can enroll in the study by May 1 by e-mailing [email protected].

GW to recognize student workers

GW will sponsor a week of activities to recognize student-employees as part of National Student Employment Week.

The University will dole out the annual Student Employee of the Year Award and the Co-op Students of the Year Award at a ceremony Thursday. The week of events began Sunday.

The purpose of National Student Employment Week is to recognize students who work either on- or off-campus jobs while managing course loads.

-Caitlin Carroll