GW Briefs

‘Crossfire’ has at least a month left

Nearly three months after CNN president Jonathan Klein announced plans to cancel “Crossfire,” the show is still broadcasting from GW. The Hatchet has learned the debate show will continue broadcasting from campus for at least a month.

In the GW-produced By George! magazine, CNN producer Sam Feist said in February that “Crossfire” would continue broadcasting “for the next month or two,” while the network develops a new version of “Inside Politics” to be aired from the University.

Michael Freedman, GW’s vice president of Communication, said CNN has not told him an ending date for “Crossfire,” and he has no new information about the show’s future. He did not verify a report that “Crossfire” will be on the air at least until May.

Freedman said decisions about “Crossfire” would be made by CNN and added that the plan is still to bring Judy Woodruff’s “Inside Politics” to GW once “Crossfire” is phased out.

“When there’s something to tell us, they’ll tell us,” Freedman said. “There’s nothing to indicate Jonathan (Klein) has changed his mind.”

-Ryan Holeywell

Graduate programs rank amoung top in nation

Several of GW’s graduate programs are ranked in U.S. News and World Report’s “America’s Best Graduate Schools” top 25 lit, according to a University statement.

Programs in the Law School, Graduate

School of Education and Human Development and School of Business are named in Monday’s issue of the magazine.

The Law School ranked 20th this year, while the Graduate School of Education and Human Development ranked 24th. The International Business program in the School of Business was 25th on the list.

Other schools ranked outside of the top 25 include the School of Business, 62, and the School of Engineering and Applied Science at 79.

U.S. News and World Report ranks the schools based on data it collects and input from educational experts.

GW hosts alcohol education session

GW will host a free program to educate people about the health effects of alcohol consumption Thursday, National Alcohol Screening Day.

The program, which is sponsored by the Graduate School of Education and Human Development, will allow participants to take a self-test and speak anonymously with a health professional. Educational materials will also be available.

The program will take place from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m at the Graduate School of Education and Human Development, room B-11. The services are open to the public.

-Caitlin Carroll