Baseball falls in league opener

First-year coach Steve Mrowka’s Atlantic 10 career did not start as he had hoped, as the GW baseball team dropped two of three games to Rhode Island last weekend at Barcroft Park. The Colonials could not hold a lead in Sunday’s rubber game, losing 8-6. The loss dropped the team’s record to 13-10.

“This weekend we got good pitching but we made defensive and mental mistakes and they capitalized on them,” Mrowka said. “Rhode Island gave us a good challenge but I think when we get into the thick of the A-10 season we will use our experience and winning tradition to win ballgames.”

On Sunday, the Colonials jumped out to 5-2 lead, but a four-run sixth inning from Rhode Island tied the game at six. In the seventh, the Rams struck for two more runs to put them ahead for good. Senior Avi Rasowsky pitched five innings and picked up a no-decision. Freshman Joel Brookens picked up his first loss as a Colonial.

Seniors Ryan Roberson (2-for-4) and Joe Michalski (1-for-4) both hit home runs and drove in two runs each. The Colonials made five errors in the game that led to two unearned runs.

“It’s a part of baseball,” Mrowka said. “Not everyday is a good day.”

Bad weather and poor field conditions have limited GW to very little on-field practice this spring.

“It’s a big disadvantage,” junior pitcher Josh Wilkie said. “Getting out there has been hard and it’s become pretty frustrating.”

On Saturday, the Colonials won the first game of the doubleheader 8-3. Sophomore Derek Lutz picked up his second win of the season, pitching a complete game, while allowing just six hits while striking out seven. Senior Ryan Roberson (3-for-4) drove in four runs and hit his sixth home run of the season in the win.

Game two pitted Wilkie against A-10 star Zack Zuercher. The Rams ace got the better of the Colonials hitters, allowing just one earned run on three hits while striking out 12 in a 6-1 victory. Senior Brad Rosenblat’s lead off home run was the only offense that GW could muster.

Thursday, the Colonials dominated Hartford in a 17-0 win. The Colonials used a 12-run second inning, including freshman Charlie Kruer’s first career grand slam that blew the game wide open. Pitchers Dan Sullivan, Derek Haese, Dan Pfau and Justin Prinstein combined to throw a three-hitter.