SA Notes

Senate rejects bill limiting spending on food

The Student Association Senate voted down legislation Tuesday night that would have put a limit on the amount of money spent on food with student funds.

The legislation called for a $10 per person cap on SA money used to purchase food and would have banned alcohol purchases with SA funds.

“This legislation offers no positive solutions to the problems the SA is facing,” said Ryan Kilpatrick (ESIA-U), one of the bill’s main opponents, who claimed the resolution did not go far enough.

“I don’t think the Senate committees should be spending any money on food,” said Kilpatrick, who estimates the Senate Finance Committee spent more than $200 on food this year.

Ben Traverse, a candidate in this week’s presidential run-off, introduced the bill after criticizing President Omar Woodard for spending more than $400 on an August dinner for his staff at Sequoia, an upscale Georgetown restaurant. That money was later reimbursed to the SA, but other members also came under fire last semester for using student funds on food and beverages.

“Unfortunately we in the SA have reached a point where it is necessary to put these preventative types of measures in place,” said Executive Vice President-elect Morgan Corr, a close political ally of Traverse.

Corr said the legislation would have prevented the controversy that ensued after Woodard’s eight-person dinner.

Corr said, “It is unfortunate because now something like the Sequoia dinner can happen again.”

-Brandon Butler