MPD arrests robbers who struck campus

Two male students were robbed on campus – one of them less than a block away from University Police headquarters – minutes apart on Tuesday.

Two suspected robbers, who were later apprehended, allegedly showed a small gun to a student at about 2:15 a.m. near 21st and G streets. UPD is headquartered at Woodhull House on the corner of 21st and G streets.

The victim said the suspects then ordered him on to the ground, where they subsequently stole his wallet and cell phone.

The assailants then allegedly grabbed another victim near 20th and E streets shortly before 3 a.m. and punched him in the face. The victim told University Police he was then thrown to the ground, where his wallet was stolen as well.

In both cases, the assailants fled in a dark colored four-door sedan. UPD contacted Metropolitan Police and officers canvassed the area. MPD stopped a car matching the description, but first victim did not recognize the passengers.

MPD made a second traffic stop at 15th and I streets, where the first victim positively identified one of the passengers, who was subsequently arrested. Another passenger who the victim did not recognize was also arrested.

UPD is treating the robberies as isolated, random incidents and is not planning to change its patrol procedures as a result of the robberies, UPD Chief Dolores Stafford said.

“Targeting this area concerns us – we see eight to 10 of these a year,” Stafford said. “It’s something that happens all over the city where people drive around the city looking for victims.”

Stafford said MPD’s help in finding the suspects was critical.

“We were very lucky we had MPD out in full force and good police work in all areas,” Stafford said.