Baseball rips Hornets

Once again, Tom Shanley is coming up big for the GW baseball team. The junior infielder socked two homers in the Colonials’ win over Delaware State Tuesday afternoon.

GW slugged its way to an 11-6 victory at the Hornets’ Soldier Field. The Colonials recorded 12 hits and knocked out four home runs in the win. GW has now won five in a row and seven out of its last eight games.

First year GW coach Steve Mrowka’s assessment of the win was short, succinct and simple.

“We were great at the plate today,” he said.

The Colonials (11-8) came out swinging, as senior right fielder Brad Rosenblat led off the contest with a home run on the game’s first pitch. The next batter, senior third baseman Geoff Milsom, drilled a double that Shanley immediately followed with a two-run shot, the first of his two home runs on the day.

While the Hornets responded in the first inning with two runs of their own, the Colonials had the game wrapped up by the end of the sixth by building a 7-4 advantage. GW scored its final four runs in the eighth, including Shanley’s second two-run homer.

Shanley, the Colonials’ second baseman, finished with three hits and four RBI. He is batting .437 on the season with three home runs.

On the mound for the Colonials was senior right-hander Nate CasaGrande, who threw five and two-thirds innings, giving up seven hits. Sophomore Derek Haese and freshman Joel Brookens provided relief to finish the game, as CasaGrande got the win, improving his season record to 2-1.

“We didn’t play too well defensively,” said Mrowka, commenting on the Colonials’ three errors. “We need to get more consistent on defense for the rest of this season.”

The Hornets, recording nine hits on the day, drop their record to 8-14. They will play LaSalle this Thursday at home.

The Colonials will play Thursday in Arlington, Va. against Hartford before opening their Atlantic 10 schedule against Rhode Island with a three-game series at Barcroft Park this weekend.