Women’s basketball falls to North Carolina

Start the slideshow!

Posted Tuesday, March 22, 9:31 p.m.
Updated 11:56 p.m.

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – Some mountains are just too steep to climb.

The No. 9 seed GW women’s basketball team fought until the end but could not overcome No. 1 seed North Carolina Tuesday night. The Colonials struggled offensively at the Dean E. Smith Center and were bounced from the NCAA Tournament, 71-47.

The Colonials (23-9) shot just 25 percent from the field and struggled against the taller and more athletic Tar Heels (29-3). Camille Little swarmed senior Anna Monta?ana, holding her to just four points on 1-for-9 shooting in her final collegiate game.

Monta?ana finished her career at GW with 1,332 points, 746 rebounds, 453 assists and 213 steals. She is the only player in Colonials history to tally 1,000 points, 500 rebounds and 400 assists. It was also the final game for senior Liz Dancause, who was held scoreless.

“This year was so special because no one even thought we could do well, or even have a winning record, never mind make the NCAA Tournament or the A-10 Championship game,” Dancause said. “That’s what I love about this team, even though we were young, these girls fought so hard and stuck with us.”

GW contained the Tar Heels through the opening 10 minutes of the first half but slowly, the Heels began to open up a lead and at halftime, led 35-22. The Colonials’ poor shooting and lack of interior presence allowed UNC to pull away in the second half, extending its lead to as many as 30 points.

Senior Jessica Simmonds, who was plagued by foul trouble throughout the game, finished with nine points and 10 rebounds. Sophomores Kenan Cole and Corrine Turner were the only GW players to finish in double figures with 11 and 10 points, respectively.

Ivory Latta led the Tar Heels with 17 points, while Nikita Bell had 16 points and nine rebounds. LaToya Pringle finished with six of the Tar Heels’ 10 blocks.