Greek-letter groups start publication

A new publication about fraternities and sororities is set to debut the week following spring break.

The student-run publication, GreekSpeak, will appear in print and online. The University has 19 recognized fraternities and sororities and 11 multicultural or service-oriented Greek-letter groups.

“GreekSpeak is a publication that has been created to recognize and advertise the tremendous efforts and accomplishments of the Greek community,” Courtney Barry, GW’s coordinator for Greek affairs, wrote in an e-mail. Barry came up with the idea for the publication.

GreekSpeak will distribute two editions this semester, Student Activities Center Director Tim Miller said. About 100 copies of the print edition will be dropped off at Greek-letter townhouses and other locations on campus.

“Our hope is that people outside the Greek community will check it out,” Miller said.

Student Coordinator for Greek Life Ashley Quinn is the publication’s editor-in-chief.

“GreekSpeak’s purpose is to unify the Greek community as well as to allow non-Greek students to see what we are up to,” Quinn wrote in an e-mail.

Quinn selected an editorial board of four students in the Greek-letter community to oversee the publication’s production. Other members of the community will help with editing, photography, layout and writing.

-Jessica Calefati