GW Briefs

Lifetime to debut domestic violence documentary at GW

Lifetime Television will premier its new documentary about domestic abuse at the Jack Morton Auditorium Monday.

The special screening of the one-hour documentary, “Terror at Home: Domestic Violence in America,” will kick off a national campaign to involve college students in fighting domestic violence, according to a statement from the network.

The film is part of Lifetime’s Emmy award-winning national outreach campaign.

Director and Executive Producer Maryann De Leo and Producer Michael Bolton, the Grammy-winning singer, will host a panel discussion following the special screening. The documentary will air on Lifetime April 10.

The screening will take place at 6:30 p.m. Amnesty International, The Body Shop and Comcast are hosting the event with Lifetime.

GW announces summer abroad programs

GW’s summer 2005 abroad programs will include trips to Eastern Europe, England and Chile, according to a University statement released Friday.

The Office of Special and International Programs, which manages the University’s overseas initiatives, is planning 10 different abroad programs this summer.

Each of the programs focuses on a specific topic to accompany the location, such as “Politics, Policies and Lobbying of the European Union” in Brugge, Belgium.

Other programs will take place in Hungary. Romania, the Slovak and Czech republics, Canada and Panama. Some programs are only open to graduate students.

Students can view information about each of the programs and costs at www.summer.gwu.edu.

Professor receives medical mission award

Professor Glenn W. Geelhoed received a Medical Mission Hall of Fame Award for his medical service in underdeveloped countries last month, GW Medicine and Health Magazine reported.

The Medical Mission Hall of Fame is a non-profit organization that recognizes people who help improve health care for others. Geelhoed has taken several international trips, some with students, to places such as the Phillipines, Haiti, Brazil and Nepal to provide medical service to poor communities.

Geelhoed, a surgery and international medical education professor, was one of three people the Medical Mission Hall of Fame honored with its 2005 award.

-Caitlin Carroll