Greek Briefs

Greek-letter groups show their spirit at game

The Interfraternity Council, the Panhellenic Association and the Multicultural Greek Council called on all Greek-letter groups to support the men’s basketball team at its last home game Tuesday night.

“We encouraged all Greek people to come out and wear their letters,” Panhellenic President Kelly Shea said. “The game is on ESPN and it’s good publicity.”

Representatives of the IFC, Panhellenic Association and Multicultural Greek Council, the governing bodies for GW’s Greek-letter groups, set up tables at the game and gave T-shirts to people they saw wearing letters. The basketball game, which GW lost to St. Joseph’s, was also a chance to promote the Office of Greek Life’s year-long campaign “Catch the Greek Fever.”

The next Greek-letter event all three groups will sponsor will be the annual Greek Fashion Show on March 22.

Service fraternity ‘swipes out’ hunger

The Alpha Phi Omega co-ed service fraternity raised $450 Monday asking students to donate Colonial Cash from their GWorld cards.

Proceeds of their fundraiser, “Swipe Out Hunger,” will go to Charley’s Place, a soup kitchen in Dupont Circle. Alpha Phi Omega rented a GWorld machine from the University and set up a table in Colombian Square Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Their goal was to raise $1,000.

“GW students have good fortune to be able to walk into the Marvin Center and spend $4 on a cup of coffee. It’s not too much to ask to donate at least $1 considering we are faced with such a large problem every day,” said Meredith Wolff, vice president of service.

-Jessica Calefati