Greek Briefs

Fraternity to sponsor step show

The Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity will host a citywide charity step competition Saturday at Lisner Auditorium.

“Step is a mixture of dance moves today, contemporary music and historically African culture,” Alpha Phi Alpha President Isaiah Pickens said. “It uses the precision of military movements mixed with the fluidity of modern dance.”

Alpha Phi Alpha belongs to the informally named Divine Nine, a coalition of historically black fraternities and sororities and one historically Latino sorority. Some members of the Divine Nine belong to the University’s Multicultural Greek Council, while other fraternities and sororities hail from universities across the East Coast, Pickens said. Performance teams from the Divine Nine will compete in Saturday’s step show.

This is the eighth year that Alpha Phi Alpha has hosted the step show. The competitive charity event normally raises and donates $3,000 to a foundation to construct a Martin Luther King Jr. memorial on the National Mall.

This year, the step show participants also plan to donate two $1,000 scholarships to District of Columbia public high school seniors and at least $500 to a tsunami relief fund, Pickens said.

“Steppin’ to the Beat” is the theme of this year’s event. Each competition team will perform a 10 to 12 minute routine incorporating elements of hip-hop music.

Tickets for the event are on sale now at Ticketmaster and the Lisner Auditorium box office, costing $15 in advance and $20 at the door.

-Jessica Calefati