GW Briefs

Alumni and students can try out to work for Trump

Alumni and students over 21 with ordinary jobs have the chance this week to try out for something a little more exciting: competing for the chance to work for Donald Trump on national television.

“The Apprentice,” the popular NBC reality show featuring the New York real estate mogul, is holding an exclusive closed casting call at the Alumni House Feb. 10.

Producers from the show will be at the 1925 F St. building to interview only alumni and students who want to compete for the chance to win a job with Trump, according to an NBC news release.

People interested in interviewing with the producers must bring a completed application to the Alumni House between 3 and 5 p.m. on Thursday.

Applications are available at http://www.nbc.com/nbc/The_Apprentice_3/application/pdf.

-Michael Barnett

Former CIA director to discuss war on terror

Former CIA Director R. James Woolsey will speak about the war on terror and its coverage in the media on Feb. 8 at the School of Media and Public Affairs building.

Woolsey was director of the CIA from 1993 to 1995.

His lecture, “The Long War of the 21st Century: How We Must Fight It,” will take place at the Jack Morton Auditorium from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. and is open to the public.

A question-and-answer session on media coverage of the war on terrorism will follow.

GW law clinics receive $2.4 million in lawsuit

The Jacob Burns Community Legal Clinics received $2.4 million in a class action lawsuit against a local cable company found guilty of charging illegal late fees.

Attorney Philip Friedman filed the suit against District Cablevision Limited Partnership almost 10 years ago. Friedman allowed each affected customer to claim overcharges and then asked the court to distribute the $13 million in unclaimed funds to local clinic groups. The gift is the largest the clinics have ever received.

Business school to make Hondruan visitor’s guide

GW’s International Institute of Tourism Studies received a $20,000 grant to create a visitor’s guide for Honduras’ North Coast, Bay Islands and Eastern Region.

The “Geotourism Map Guide” will provide information about Honduran culture, history and nature. The institute, part of GW’s School of Business, received the grant from Tourism Cares for Tomorrow.

Geotourism is tourism that focuses on the geographical nature of a location. Honduras is home to the Rio Platano Biosphere Reserve, a United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization World Heritage site.

-Caitlin Carroll