Sigma Delta Tau members asked to leave

Some Sigma Delta Tau members are being asked to leave the sorority following an investigation by its national organization last weekend.

Sigma Delta Tau National Executive Director Ann Braly said the investigation was conducted in response to concerns about “general chapter management” and “future leadership.” She said she was unsure if hazing had anything to do with the visit.

Following their visit, representatives from the national organization compiled a report. They met with the sorority due to “reports of risk management violations,” officials said, and discussed the organization’s purpose, mission and policies.

“A few members were not granted continued membership because their vision for the future of our chapter at GW did not fit the expectations required by our National Organization,” said the report, which the organization sent via e-mail to The Hatchet. The report did not specify why the members were asked to leave.

Braly said the group will “absolutely not lose its charter.” Loss of a charter would result in losing University recognition, which provides Greek-letter groups with funding, housing and guidelines for conduct.

“The team was very excited about the future of the chapter and pleased with their display of strong academics, sisterhood and interest in community service,” Braly said.

Courtney Barry, the University’s coordinator of Greek affairs, said the visit was a “membership review” and not an “investigation.”

“A membership review is managed by a national organization and can be scheduled by any national organization for a variety of reasons,” Barry wrote in an e-mail.

Barry added that national organizations have requirements for campus chapters such as programming, philanthropy and leadership development.

Sigma Delta Tau President Erin Mavian told The Hatchet that the sorority has not been suspended and that the group had no further comment.

Panhellenic Association President Kelly Shea said she is not involved with the sorority’s situation and cannot comment on the issue specifically. The Panhellenic Association is the governing body for GW’s eight sororities.

“Panhel isn’t directly involved with the Sigma Delta Tau chapter, or any recent events that have occurred within the chapter,” Shea wrote in an e-mail.

Student Activities Center Director Tim Miller said national organizations for Greek-letter groups typically contact the University prior to visiting a campus. He said he knew the visit would take place but was not aware of reasons for the visit.

-Caitlin Carroll contributed to this report.