SA Notes

Senate staffer ejected for calling colleague a “bastard”

Executive Vice President Anyah Dembling removed a Senate staff member Monday night for calling a senator a “bastard” on his online blog.

In his online journal last week, freshman Tim Shea, director of Senate Outreach, called Ryan Kilpatrick (ESIA-U) a “bastard” for walking out of last week’s Senate meeting and forcing the organization to stop debate shortly after 2:30 a.m. Kilpatrick’s departure on Jan. 26 prevented the Senate from having the minimum number of members needed to deliberate on the election charter.

“Thanks for nothing ‘Senator’ Ryan Kilpatrick, I hope you burn in hell,” said Shea, according to a copy of his comments obtained by The Hatchet.

In an interview Tuesday night, Shea was remorseful about the posting.

“I regret posting it, but I thought that the charter could have been finished last week without Ryan leaving,” Shea said.

Kevin Waloff (SPHHS-U) said Shea’s blog posting is just the latest example of the petty online bickering within the Student Association.

“I do not know if there is any way we as a Senate can end this cycle and work together again, but we must try,” Waloff said.

Over the last week, The Hatchet has obtained multiple e-mails sent over the SA listserv in which senators discussed censuring Kilpatrick. Others personally attacked Kilpatrick and Waloff.

Dembling said she is unsure if she will search for a replacement for Shea, whose duties included acting as a liaison between the Senate and the student body.

-Brandon Butler