GW Briefs

Fraternity raises money by selling grilled cheese

The Theta Delta Chi fraternity raised more than $300 for charity through sales of grilled cheese sandwiches in Kogan Plaza Thursday.

With enough bread, cheese and other supplies to make 120 sandwiches, Theta Delta Chi members stood outside in below-freezing temperatures to sell their sandwiches, priced at $1 and prepared on grills. They used all of their supplies.

All proceeds from the philanthropy event were donated to Miriam’s Kitchen. Located near campus at 23rd Street and Virginia Avenue, Miriam’s Kitchen hosts meals and other programs for homeless men and women in the D.C. area. The group was able to raise more than $300 by selling all 120 sandwiches and receiving extra donations.

The fraternity, which has about 20 members, chose to make grilled cheese sandwiches because they were “easy, marketable, and students got back something in exchange for their donations,” event coordinator Brian Lieberman said. “It was not just donating and walking away.”

-Jessica Calefati

GW to host discussion on tsunami aftermath

The University will host a town hall meeting Feb. 1 to discuss the impact of the tsunami on the international system of development and humanitarian aid.

The event, “The Asian Tsunami: Political, Economic and Social Implications,” will feature faculty from the Elliott School of International Affairs. Featured speakers will address issues such as public health, the use of technology in disaster relief and the role of the military in relief efforts.

The meeting, which will take place at 7 p.m. in the Elliott School of International Affairs building, is free and open to the public.

-Caitlin Carroll