Campus Snacks moves headquarters

Students have more late-night munchies to choose from now that Campus Snacks has moved from its Foggy Bottom headquarters to an off-campus space that is nearly three times as large.

The food delivery service, now headquartered at 1776 G St., is known for its selection of ice cream, baked goods, drinks, kosher and health food and other products such as cigarettes and DVDs. Its new location has allowed the service to expand its inventory to include new items such as Entenmanns’ baked goods, SmartWater, Amy’s all-organic food products, Soy chips and Arizona Iced Tea.

“We decided to expand to meet the needs of the students,” said 2004 graduate Matt Mandell, who founded Campus Snacks in March 2003. “Our original goal was a lot more humble, but there has been a great demand for our services.”

Mandell originally operated Campus Snacks out of his dorm room but had to change locations when the administration threatened to shut his operation down after The Washington Post did a feature on his entrepreneurial endeavors. Operating a business out of a residence hall room violates University policy.

Senior Geoff Milsom, a Campus Snacks employee, said the business was formerly located behind a townhouse at 25th and I streets. The location riled some Foggy Bottom residents who were upset that a business was being run out of a home.

“It was originally located in a one-car garage, so it was pretty cramped,” Milsom said.

Mandell added that Campus Snacks prices are competitive with on-campus food vendors such as 7-Eleven and J Street venues. There is no delivery charge and no minimum amount a student must spend for delivery.

Lynn Pellicano, a manager of Campus Snacks, said the business’s new headquarters can sometimes be inconvenient because of its location a few blocks from campus. She added, however, that delivery time is now faster for students living closer to the new location in residence halls such as Francis Scott Key Hall and Strong Hall. The typical delivery time is 15 to 20 minutes, according to the Campus Snacks website.

Pellicano said even students in Mitchell Hall, which has a 7-Eleven located next door, take advantage of Campus Snacks.

“We thought 7-Eleven was going to mess up our business, but Campus Snacks has really unique stuff and it’s more convenient than going out in the cold to get food,” she said.

Campus Snacks employs a total of about 40 students, Pellicano said. There are between 10 and 15 students who work in managerial positions and between 25 and 30 “riders,” who deliver late-night snacks on bicycles. Campus Snacks was featured prominently in a December New York Times article about student-run businesses.

Mandell said students who work the late-night shifts earn between $15 and $20 an hour.

Freshman Ted Schwartz, a Hall on Virginia Avenue resident, said he and his friends order from Campus Snacks every other night.

“It’s a matter of being lazy,” Schwartz said. “Campus Snacks always has something we want and it’s convenient because we don’t have to stop what we are doing to get food.”

Freshman Dale Gebhardt, another HOVA resident, said he orders from Campus Snacks at least once a week.

“The biggest advantage of Campus Snacks is that you don’t have to walk to 7-Eleven,” he said.