SA Notes

Senate may put more money into co-sponsorships

The Student Association Finance Committee received $105,173 from the 2003-04 budget surplus on Tuesday night. Some of that money will be given to student groups as co-sponsorships.

The SA has $57,369 remaining in the co-sponsorship fund, an amount that can be increased by the Senate. Co-sponsorships allow the SA to partly fund events for groups that cannot fund them on their own.

The Finance Committee will be reviewing mid-year allocations Feb. 8, when student organizations that received an initial allocation must submit a report of how much of their budget has been spent. Traditionally, student organizations see no change in funding unless they have not submitted a budget or hand in a late budget.

Groups that received $150 as an initial allocation are eligible for increased funding; other organizations must apply for increased funds through co-sponsorships.

The Finance and Rules committees will hold a joint meeting Jan. 30 to discuss the $1-per-credit fee increase proposed by Kyle Spector (ESIA-U). Currently, students pay a $1-per-credit fee that goes to the governing body.

At the last joint committee meeting, the body declined to pursue SA President Omar Woodard’s proposed 50-cent-per-credit fee increase that would have given a 20-cent-per credit increase to the SA and a 10-cent increase each to the Class Council, Program Board and WRGW.

-Brandon Butler