Basketball Notes

Cowan to transfer

GW men’s basketball head coach Karl Hobbs has confirmed that junior Jaz Cowan and senior Lafonte Johnson have left the program.

Hobbs said Cowan has transferred but did not specify where. The coach said Johnson has chosen to end his basketball career.

Cowan, who only logged 37 minutes this season, including an appearance against Wake Forest on Nov. 15, walked onto the team in 2002 before earning a scholarship last season.

Johnson has decided to end his college basketball career after only one full year in a GW uniform. He began his collegiate career at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas, playing two seasons. As a sophomore at UNLV, he averaged 8.3 points per game. The statistical highlight of Johnson’s career as a Colonial was his 10-point performance at Charlotte last season.

Koundjia arrives in Foggy Bottom

Regis Koundjia, a transfer from Louisiana State University, appears ready to join the Colonials this semester. The forward’s high school coach told the New Orleans Times-Picayune last week that he has enrolled at GW.

While sitting at the GW women’s basketball game at the Smith Center Wednesday night, Koundjia declined to comment on his status. Coach Karl Hobbs also declined to comment.

The former high school standout, who is not yet listed on the team’s roster, would not be able to play in a regular season game until 2006 due to NCAA regulations.

The forward played sparingly for LSU over the past two years but was recruited by top-flight programs such as Wake Forest University and Georgetown.

Nose doesn’t stop Pops

Despite suffering a broken nose during Saturday’s loss to Massachusetts, junior forward Pops Mensah-Bonsu – sporting a protective facemask – played in Wednesday night’s win over La Salle.

Mensah-Bonsu had a quiet night offensively (six points) but grabbed eight rebounds.

-Jake Sherman and Alan Siegel