Student’s killer gets life in jail

The convicted killer of GW graduate student Daniel Krug was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole last week.

In October, a jury convicted Edward Nellson of murdering and robbing the 30-year-old Krug. Police said Nellson, 26, broke into Krug’s K Street apartment and strangled him before stealing cash and credit cards. In 2003, a grand jury described the murder as “especially heinous, atrocious, or cruel.” The murder was part of a planned string of random robberies on the night of May 30, 2002, police said.

Before he was sentenced, Nellson attacked his alleged accomplice, Stephen Burciaga, in a D.C. Superior Court holding cell. Burciaga, a former University of Maryland student, testified against Nellson, admitting to driving the getaway car. He pleaded guilty to second-degree murder but said it was Nellson who actually killed Krug. Burciaga has not yet been sentenced.

Police caught Burciaga using one of Krug’s cards to withdraw money from a College Park ATM. Ocean City, Md., police caught Nellson after he stole a woman’s cigarettes.

Krug, a native of Easton, Pa., graduated from Cornell University in 1994 and worked in Nevada and Seattle before coming to GW to work on his master’s of business administration degree.

-Ryan Holeywell