WEB EXTRA: Women’s basketball opens A-10 play with win at Fordham

NEW YORK – The GW women’s basketball team opened Atlantic 10 play with a sloppy win over Fordham, 72-50, at the Rose Hill Gym Monday night. Despite committing 19 turnovers and missing 12 free throws, the Colonials improved to 10-0 all-time against the Rams.

“It was important to get a conference win on the road because it gets some momentum going and now we get two home games,” GW head coach Joe McKeown said.

At halftime, the Colonials (7-4, 1-0 Atlantic 10) led 35-28. At the 10:00 mark in the second, the lead sat at just five at 49-44. However, GW caught fire on both ends of the floor, putting together a 23-6 run in the game’s final minutes to seal the win. In the final 10 minutes, the Colonials allowed just two Fordham (4-9, 0-1 A-10) field goals.

“I think our defense really got us through the second half,” McKeown said. “Sarah-Jo Lawrence shut down their best player and we got more aggressive and then (Jessica) Simmonds just took over.”

Four Colonials finished in double figures, including leading scorer Simmonds, who tied a career high with 23 points. Senior Anna Montanana had 12 points but committed six turnovers in 37 minutes.

“We could have played better tonight but we all stepped up and we got the win,” Simmonds said, “That’s what’s important.”

Sophomores Whitney Allen and Kenan Cole (two three-pointers) each scored 10 points. Freshman point guard Kimberly Beck had a strong performance, recording eight assists, a new career high.

Freshman Sarah Jo-Lawrence played strong defense all game, which impressed McKeown.

“Sarah-Jo just locked up Monica Mack, who’s their best player,” McKeown said “And for eight minutes she just didn’t let her score.”

Sophomore Amanda LoCascio scored five points on the night and enjoyed playing in front a full cheering section. The guard attended Christ the King High School in New York City.

“I love having my family and friends come from home and see me play,” LoCascio said. “I was really excited to have them here and I think the team was really happy they were here. We have been slumping on the road and to have some fans on the road really gave us some energy.”

Freshman Lisa Steele, who has seen action in just one game this season, said she would be cleared on Wednesday to begin practicing with the team. Steele is recovering from a stress fracture in her foot and mononucleosis.

The Colonials return to action Friday in their final non-conference game against the Yale Bulldogs (1-9) at the Smith Center at 7 p.m.

Sunday, the Colonials will square off against Massachusetts (7-4) at the Smith Center at 2 p.m. McKeown is currently sitting on 199 career A-10 victories, which is the most of any coach in A-10 history.

Colonials ink five recruits

McKeown announced that the Colonials have received five letters of intent, including six-foot-four-inch twins Jessica and Jasmine Adair, who hail from Southeast D.C. and play at Anacostia High School.

Jessica averaged almost 17 points per game in her junior year while sister Jasmine averaged almost 13 points per game.

GW has also expanded to its frontcourt by adding Jamila Bates from Garfield High School in Seattle, Wash. Bates averaged six points and nearly 10 rebounds a game last season. McKeown compared her to Detroit Pistons center Ben Wallace because of her aggressive defensive nature.

Faith Peters, a guard from Baton Rouge, La. will also attend GW next year. Peters averaged 22 points and nine rebounds per game in her junior season at the University High of Baton Rouge. Peters was honored last season by being named to Louisiana’s All State Second team.

The fifth player is six-foot-three-inch Chantelle John, who is currently attending Stonleigh-Burnham Prep School in Massachusetts. John is currently listed as a member of Canada’s junior women’s national team.