On road, GW falls to BYU

The GW women’s basketball team lost both games of its West Coast road trip earlier this week, falling to Brigham Young University 76-70 Monday night in Provo, Utah. The Colonials lost to Oregon 64-40 last Saturday.

GW now sits at 3-3 on the year and has yet to win a game outside of D.C. The Colonials’ only road victory was over cross-town rival Georgetown.

“The reality is that we are still a young team and we are still learning and adjusting,” senior Anna Monta?ana said. “I think we are beginning to learn from our mistakes.”

The Colonials played a strong first half, building a 28-22 lead by intermission. However, the BYU offense caught fire in the second, scoring 54 points, as five Cougar players finished in double figures.

“I think we let their shooters shoot,” Monta?ana said. “They hit some big threes and I don’t think we guarded them that well.”

After shooting only about 37 percent in the first half, the Colonials shot just under 62 percent in the second. However, several GW players got into foul trouble, and the Cougars scored 14 points from the free throw line in the second half compared to just four by GW.

“If you are not guarding people you’re going to foul more,” Monta?ana said. “If you combine that with fouling down the stretch to put them on the line they are going to score from the line.”

Monta?ana led the GW offense with 25 points but had nine turnovers. Despite her 20-plus points, she said she was not happy with her carelessness with the ball.

“I didn’t play that well, my teammates were playing harder than me,” Monta?ana said. “If I would have played better earlier in the game we wouldn’t have been in the situation we ended up in at the end of the game.”

Senior Jessica Simmonds and sophomore Whitney Allen each set new career highs with 23 and eight points, respectively.

The Colonials return to action Sunday at Virginia Commonwealth University (2-2). GW has just five non-conference games remaining before Atlantic 10 play begins at Fordham on Jan. 3.