GW Briefs

Alum takes Senate leadership position

Four-term Sen. Harry Reid (Nev.), a 1964 GW Law School graduate, was named Democratic minority leader last week in the wake of Tom Daschle’s (S.D.) failed re-election bid. Reid was formerly the minority whip under Daschle.

“We are looking forward to the challenge of leading the Democrats on a number of issues, but we will also reach across the aisle to work with the Republicans to ensure that the Senate passes a good laws that will benefit all American people,” Reid’s press secretary, Tessa Hafen, said.

GW Law School officials said they are happy to call Reid a graduate of their program.

“The George Washington University and its Law School are extraordinarily proud at the appointment of Harry Reid as the Senate minority leader. He is one of our most distinguished alums, and will be playing an important role in the coming legislative agenda of the country,” Law School interim dean Roger Transgrud said.

-Danielle Friedman

GW Hospital tests new weight loss device

The GW Hospital is participating in a nationwide study to see if a new gastric stimulator can help people lose weight, WJLA, the local ABC affiliate, reported.

The small electrical device is similar to a pacemaker.

It is implanted in the stomach and sends electrical impulses from the stomach to the brain to decrease the feeling of hunger.

Hospital officials are testing the device on 30 patients to determine if the gastric stimulator is effective and safe.

In order to determine if weight loss is due to the gastric stimulator, only half of the patients participating in the study had the device surgically implanted.

The study is expected to continue for at least two more years before the Food and Drug Administration is consulted to approve the device.

University names new registrar

Elizabeth Amundson will take over as the new University Registrar beginning Nov. 29.

Her duties include overseeing class registration, academic records, classroom scheduling and degree certification.

Amundson was previously an assistant and associate registrar at GW from 1998 to 2002.

She then served as the registrar at the Johns Hopkins University School of Professional Studies in Business and Education before returning to GW.

Amundson replaces Dennis Geyer, who took a job at California State University-Monterey Bay in October.

-Caitlin Carroll