Aramark changes venue hours

Aramark amended the hours of operation Monday for several of its dining venues, which will now stay open until midnight.

When the newly renovated J Street opened in August, Aramark officials boasted new late-night dining hours for many of its venues. Until last week, some venues, such as Baja Sol and Subway, remained open until 2 a.m.

On Monday, Aramark, the private dining service provider that operates J Street, adjusted hours so that most venues -including Baja Sol, Wendy’s and Subway – officially close at 12 a.m. Aramark made the changes because students were not frequenting the venues past midnight, University officials said.

Louis Katz, executive vice president and treasurer, said he supports the changes because they reflect student demand. He noted that students also have more breakfast options, with shops such as Einstein Bros. Bagels and Starbucks opening at 7 a.m.

“This is all based off demand,” Katz said. “If demand grows, they’ll expand the hours.”

J Street dining hours are still later than they were last year, Katz said.

“They were testing the market demand,” Katz said. “What they want to do is satisfy market demand.”

Some students said they wanted J Street to stay open past midnight.

“They’re better than they were last year, but they’re still not convenient enough,” junior James Daley said. “I like the hours at Pita Pit and Ivory Tower. If the hours were like that it would be much better.”

Other students said the changes will not affect them.

“It’s not going to have the biggest impact on me because I’ve only gone there twice this year anyway,” junior Philipp Waclawiczek said. “It’s not convenient for me and I’m not the biggest fan of the options there. 7-Eleven provides a better option for late-night eating anyway.”

Kate Moran, communications director for Aramark, said the company decided to make the change after multiple evaluations of student traffic at the dining venues in J Street.

“The adjustments were made based on need,” Moran said. “We constantly analyze the needs of the students.”