Letters to the Editor

A good race

I would like to publicly commend Kris Hart for his efforts in the race for election as the 2A-05 Commissioner of the Advisory Neighborhood Commission. Having known and worked with Kris on community projects, I was delighted to endorse him as a candidate and, in a way, to act as his campaign manager. We were aware that he was a “dark horse” candidate with three strikes against him: he was a student, he was a GWU student and he was a write-in. Facing these odds, I admire him for his dedication and the energy and time he invested in campaigning.

It was very disappointing that Kris’ requests to speak as a candidate at the Foggy Bottom Association and at the Columbia Plaza Tenants Association meetings were denied. He has been a member of the former and had recently joined the latter as a new resident. It is unfortunate too that others in Foggy Bottom who wished to change the incumbent were not eligible to vote for Kris as they did not live in the boundaries of “2A-05”. His agenda was much the same as his opponent. Thus, we were seeking “not to change the message, but to change the messenger” so that what we wanted for our neighborhood did not fall on “deaf ears” as it appears to be the case for the past few years.

It has been most refreshing to hear so many favorable comments about Kris Hart: his ability to listen, his positive attitude and civil manner – traits certainly not found in his opponent. Many said they welcomed “new and fresh blood” and were delighted to see a young person getting so involved in our neighborhood.

He is to be congratulated for wanting to make a difference and for getting a fair share of the votes. Although he did not win the election, I still feel that Kris was the better candidate and the winner in many other ways.

-Rita V. Champagne, Member, Columbia Plaza Tenants Association and the Foggy Bottom Association

Lofty Intentions

As a Foggy Bottom resident, recent articles describing GW’s Office of D.C. and Foggy Bottom/West End Affairs have disappointed me. Reportedly, this office’s purpose is to address town-gown issues, to have open dialogue, to deal with community complaints, to coordinate outreach efforts, etc.

All such lofty intentions are impressive and surely make good press. Yet the single most contentious issue has been avoided: GW’s endless drive to expand its student population. Without enrollment reduction, the mission of this office can scarcely be taken seriously.

Without enrollment reduction, neighborhood encroachment will continue. More neighborhood buildings will be acquired for dormitory use and removed from property tax responsibilities. Off-campus student numbers will continue to swell, displacing income and property tax-paying homeowners. Absentee landlords will increase, gouging students while letting properties fall into disrepair. Already critical parking problems will intensify.

GW’s Office of D.C. and Foggy Bottom/West End Affairs will gain the respect and support of local residents when it meaningfully addresses the overriding issue of “more students at all costs.” Finally, GW’s extreme emphasis on growth is negatively impacting GW’s academic standards and reputation. As a parent of two GW graduates, this priority troubles me as well as them.

-David Hertzfeldt, Foggy Bottom resident

Frivolous spending

Lately, it seems that everywhere I look, there’s another blatant sign that the administration of GW is a lot more dedicated to making a buck than improving the academic facets of this university.

Case and point: The new DVD machine in the library. The machine takes GWorld and is open 24 hours a day – what I see is one giant distraction from ever getting any work done. I walk into the library with plans to work on a paper in the computer lab, but what catches my eye? Kill Bill on DVD. So instead of doing work, I swipe my GWorld, grab my DVD, and rush down to the computer lab to plug in my headphones and watch a movie.

Has GW no qualms? They installed the ultimate study distraction the lobby of our library! It would be another story if it were in the Hippodrome or even in Thurston or HOVA basements. But to install that anti-studying device right in the lobby of Gelman just goes to show that our University does not put its primary focus on bettering our education. Instead, they are out to suck the Colonial Cash out of your GWorld so you have no choice but to ask the parents to put more on. Thanks, G-dub, for helping me succeed at college.

-Rebecca Greenberg, senior

Double standard

I very much resent the comic in the Nov. 15 edition of The Hatchet (p.4), which is obviously alluding to a Christian. First, there is a clear double standard here. The Hatchet would never dare to satirize Islam like that. The Hatchet’s hypocrisy is blatant since liberals preach love and tolerance of all peoples, except those who disagree with their opinions. Also, I resent the stereotype of all Christians being homophobic gay bashers. I am a Catholic, and I am also homosexual. Although the hierarchy of the Catholic Church is intolerant of my lifestyle, I know most Catholics accept me for who God made me and respect me for who I am because Christ commanded us to love all persons. And most important, I know Jesus Christ, my lord and savior, loves me unconditionally. To paint all Christians as being like Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson is simply wrong because it is untrue. These men are the furthest things from Christians.

-Tim Conroy, sophomore

Be more pragmatic

Joviality and intoxication appear very similar in the eyes of an amateur. The community facilitators of Thurston Hall seem unable to discern between these two states of mind. This ineptitude resulted in the embarrassment and invasion of privacy of not only myself, but to some close friends of mine.

Last Friday I was approached by a community facilitator in Thurston who was convinced that I was stumbling drunk and carrying a bag full of alcohol, as opposed to the obvious situation at hand; that I was simply laughing very hard and carrying a bag of books. It would seem that the community facilitators of Thurston Hall are looking more to fill their quota of alcohol violations than to truly look out for the well being of the students. It became unequivocally clear that the CFs were harassing me rather than doing their job when they asked, (and I am quoting verbatim here) “Why do you have a book bag on Friday night?” and “Why are you wearing a coat?” I would appreciate if the CLLC staff would train their community facilitators to use greater discretion and be more pragmatic in their duties. Such action would increase students’ trust in the motives and interests of their CFs.

-Noah Wall, freshman