SA Notes

Senate doles out extra allocations to groups

The Student Association Senate voted Tuesday night to give $12,210 to 24 student organizations that had not yet received allocations along with other groups last month.

The allocation represents a $2,900 decrease in funding from money given to those groups last year. Jordyn Cosme (U-At Large), chair of the Finance Committee, said Tuesday night’s action is the first time he knows of that the SA has granted a second major allotment to student organizations.

“It was a lot smoother than the first process,” Cosme said, referring to initial allocation meetings held last month. “We tried to accommodate student organizations by giving them a second deadline and another chance for funding.”

GW Pride was one of several groups that received decreased funding, taking $1,160 compared to $2,250 last year. Money for the South Asian Society also took a significant dive, with the group receiving $550 compared to the more than $2,800 it received last year.

Some organizations however, such as The GW Carver, an on-campus humor magazine, saw an increase in funding. The Carver received $640, up from $150 last year.

The Finance Committee also released reports for the co-sponsorship fund, which showed the SA granted almost $43,000 in co-sponsorships since the start of the year. Co-sponsorships allow the SA to provide extra allocations to groups while having a say in how they spend it.

-Brandon Butler