GW to centralize wireless networks this summer
By Hannah Marr, Assistant News Editor • April 25, 2024
GW to renovate Pelham Commons this summer
By Barry Yao, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

Greek Week features comedian, auction

Greek Week, the annual charity event and competition for Greek-letter groups, will end Thursday after seven days of events such as a skit night, date auction and Greek God and Goddess competition.

Greek Week, sponsored by the Interfraternity Council, Panhellenic Association and Multicultural Greek Council, gives fraternities and sororities a chance to partake in “friendly competition,” Student Activities Center Director Tim Miller said. The week will culminate with an event at Heritage Nightclub Thursday night.

Comedian Aaron Karo kicked off Greek Week with a comedy routine that brought nearly 1,200 students to Lisner Auditorium Monday night.

The routine was based on his recently released book, “Ruminations on College Life.”

Karo received some of the night’s biggest laughs when he poked fun at fraternities and sororities.

“Sororities are girls who hate each other and organize together to fight over frat guys, while fraternities are guys who love each other and organize together to get wasted,” Karo said.

Class Council’s annual Charity Ball Saturday night was a Greek Week event for the first time this year. Miller said the involvement of Greek-letter groups helped the event raise nearly $6,000 for charity.

Skit night, one of the most spirited events, featured short performances from each Greek-letter group.

Many of the groups, such as Delta Gamma, Sigma Phi Epsilon and Alpha Epsilon Phi, focused on a dance routine.

“We worked really hard, and it definitely paid off,” Delta Gamma member Paola Jaramillo said.

On Wednesday night, students stood shoulder to shoulder in J Street’s Columbian Square to watch the talent portion of the Greek God and Goddess Competition and the date auction.

Members of the Panhellenic Association and the IFC voted on the best Greek God and Goddess at the end of the event.

Delta Gamma member Jamie Gustafson had one of the highest bids of the night at $240.

When asked why he chose to bid on Gustafson, buyer Albert Fonticiella said, “It’s all good when it’s for charity.”

Pi Kappa Alpha member David Rottblatt received a $160 bid.

“I didn’t jerk around, I was serious,” he said. “Girls want a mature guy and a mature date.”

-Caitlin Carroll and Casey Pond contributed to this report.