Women’s basketball falls in exhibition opener

The GW women’s basketball team opened its exhibition season Saturday with a 69-64 loss to Everyone’s Favorite Internet Exchange, a team comprised of WNBA and former collegiate players.

The game was sloppy, as the teams combined for 40 turnovers.

“I think we played hard and I liked our intensity,” GW head coach Joe McKeown said. “I think we got back on defense and made them work but it was just disappointing offensively. I didn’t think we played that well on offense.”

The game was a showcase for several new Colonials, including senior transfer Jessica Simmonds. Simmonds, who suited up for GW for the first time in her career, scored 21 points in 29 minutes before fouling out.

“It’s been a year sitting out so I am just ready to play,” Simmonds said. “It’s going to take some time getting used to the refs but I think I had a good game. I know I can do a lot more to help my team in the future.”

The Colonials also featured freshmen Kimberly Beck and Sarah-Jo Lawrence, along with sophomore Whitney Allen, who sat out all of her freshman campaign with an ankle injury. Beck had the best debut – in 20 minutes she had six points from the point guard position.

“Everybody has got to step up,” Simmonds said. “Everyone is filling in alright but we have a lot to work on as you could see. But we are coming through we are going to get it done.”

Sophomore Corrine Turner also had a strong game, looking like the player she was before a mid-season knee injury last year. In 23 minutes, she scored10 points.

Even though the Colonials’ defense looked strong, their offense struggled at times. McKeown’s club did not connect on one three-pointer all day.

Only nine Colonial players saw action in the contest. Senior Liz Dancause is having reoccurring shin pain, freshman Lisa Steele is still recovering from a stress fracture in her foot and walk-on freshman Audie Fugett has not had enough practice time to play in a game, McKeown said.

Senior Anna Monta?ana had a balanced offensive game with 14 points, six rebounds and seven assists in the loss. Last week, she was named to the pre-season All-Atlantic 10 Team.

“I think Monta?ana understands for us to be successful she is going to have some big nights where she puts a lot of points on the board,” McKeown said. “It’s got come in different ways – inside, outside and in transition.”

The Colonials will close out their exhibition season Wednesday in the first game of double-header with the men’s team. GW will square off at 6 p.m. at the Smith Center against the Russian Junior National Team.