Chinese American Student Association holds auction

The Chinese American Student Association transformed the Hippodrome into a glitzy catwalk last Friday for its seventh annual date auction.

About 100 students showed up for the auction, which had a Masquerade theme. The proceeds from the event will fund the club’s future events and will be donated to Feed the Children, a program that helps build schools in China.

“It is a great thing when you can fundraise for your club and have fun at the same time,” CASA treasurer Peter Young said. “I enjoy this event and cannot wait to participate in it again next year.”

Each of the 26 contestants up for the auction had to perform a talent to earn the support of the crowd or pick a dare out of a hat.

Club member Peter Mak, auctioned off for $45 dollars, performed a Hong Kong pop song and drew cheers from the crowd. Monica Lee, president of CASA, had to take her chances and select a dare; she gave a lap dance to an audience member.

As the night went on, bidding amounts increased as contestants performed a variety of talents. Jessica Rios shared her piano playing skills with the audience and was bought for $100, one of the highest bid amounts of the night.

All those who participated in the event, either by buying a date or being auctioned off, went on a group date at Caf? Asia last weekend.

Freshman Josh Rosenblum was one of many students in the crowd who came to support his friends.

“Me and my six friends wanted to come out, have a good time, and support our friend,” he said. “She was so excited for tonight and I was happy to see that she was getting involved in a GW activity that was put together for a great cause.”

CASA was formed in the fall of 1999 and members have been planning the date auction since late August. Events held by the group last year included a Chinese New Year fashion show and a spring fashion show. Later this year, CASA will be sponsoring ice skating at the National Gallery and lunch with the Chinese student organization at Georgetown University.

Ckshu Pei Ng, program director of CASA, said her group provides an excellent atmosphere to meet students.

“You can meet a lot of great people while preparing for events such as the date auction,” she said. “Executive board members are required to auction themselves off at our annual date auction, providing them with the chance to do something that they might not have done otherwise.”