Breaking news: Damaged pipe floods three HOVA floors

Posted Saturday, Nov. 6, 12:40 a.m. A damaged hot water pipe flooded three Hall on Virginia Avenue floors late Friday night.

At around 10:15 p.m., a female HOVA resident kicked a third floor radiator, causing a hot water pipe to burst and damage the northwest side of the building, located at 2601 Virginia Ave; water gushed down to the second and first floors.

Residential Property Management responded with about seven maintenance people, and shut off water to the building’s 450 residents, a move that stopped the flooding.

“The rooms we have been in so far, we have talked to almost all the students, the water does not go in that far, none of them wanted relocation but we have offered,” property manager Robin Imer said. “Most of the damage was in the hallway.”

Imer added that students would not need to be evacuated from the building, though a musty smell stayed in the hallway. As of 12:20 a.m. Saturday, water in the building was still shut off.

“We are not exactly sure how it started,” he said. “There is a leak and I don’t know the details, I think there is going to be a lot of water.”

Students watched as technicians knocked out walls in search of the leak on the second and third floors. Though the water was vacuumed from the affected areas, students still complained of moisture and a foul odor.

“The hallway was reminiscent of a muggy swamp,” said freshman Ethan Leavy, who lives adjacent to the leak.

Water damaged cardboard boxes of food in Leavy’s room, but little else. He said the University did a good job offering him assistance.

Students affected by the burst pipe were told to take any damaged items to Residential Property Management for reimbursement.

The Hatchet has disabled comments on our website. Learn more.