Halloween Club and Bar Events

Once you reach college, Halloween’s festivities (i.e. trick-or-treating, bobbing for apples and funny costumes) take a ghoulish turn. The treats turn alcoholic, bobbing becomes not so innocent and girls wear “funny” outfits suited for a soft porn flick. The drinking and costumes are the easy decisions when it comes to planning your Halloween adventure. But deciding which of the many D.C. events to attend can be a bit more difficult.

Because Halloween falls on a Sunday this year, events are planned for the entire weekend. Wandering through the crowded streets of Georgetown or Adams Morgan are always feasible options, but also consider the enticing parties and events hosted by several other D.C. bars and clubs when planning your haunted holiday nights.

Lulu’s Halloween Extravaganza
2119 M St. N.W.
18 and over

The self-proclaimed “official College Halloween pre-party” of D.C. and the sixth annual D.C. Halloween Bash provide a jump-start to holiday celebrations. While Thursday night features a $10 open bar, Friday night’s guests include cast members from MTV’s “Real World.” A costume contest with cash prizes and a bead toss at midnight add to the festivities, as do drink specials all night. Events are Thursday, Oct. 28 and Friday, Oct. 29 at 9 p.m.

Nightmare on M Street
Various locations
21 and over

Eight bars near M Street south of Dupont Circle have partnered for the ultimate Halloween bar crawl. Participating bars include: Black Rooster Pub, The Front Page, Madhatter’s, Recesssions, Rumors, Sign of the Whale, Tequila Grill and Toka Caf?.

Advance tickets can be purchased at www.lindypromo.com for $8, which includes cover charges at participating locations. If you wait till the day of, tickets can be purchased at either Rumors or The Front Page for $10 with a costume and $13 without. Drink specials include $2 Bud and Bud Light bottles, $3.50 Hypnotiq drinks and shooter deals. Ticket holders will also be eligible for prize giveaways and be entered into the costume contest. If you are planning to only go to only a few bars, it’s better to just pay the individual cover charges than buying an entire ticket. Event starts Saturday, Oct. 30 at 5 p.m.

Miller Lite Fright Night at McFadden’s Restaurant and Saloon
2401 Pennsylvania Ave. N.W.
21 and over

You don’t have to go far if you’re looking for good drink specials and a costume contest with a lot of prize money. McFadden’s Halloween bash features costumed bartenders serving $1 Miller Lite drafts until midnight and other drink specials.

Cover charge has yet to be determined, but you can surely make up for it with a rocking costume. Prizes start at $1,000 for first, $500 for second and $300 for third. Like other nightlife hot spots, get there early to avoid the crowd. Event is Saturday, Oct. 30. Drink specials start at 8 p.m.

Haunted Dream at Dream Nightclub
1350 Okie Street, N.E.
21 and over

For those who want the club atmosphere but would prefer to avoid the younger scene, Dream is your swanky alternative. There is a large cash prize costume contest and several floors with DJs spinning hip-hop, R&B, international and house.

Tickets can be pre-purchased until Oct. 30 for $15 plus $1.50 paypal fee at www.dcnites.com/halloween. Pre-purchased tickets allow for a separate VIP entry to the club. Tickets are $20 at the door. Event is Saturday Oct. 30 at 9 p.m.

Zanzibar
700 Water St. S.W.
18 and over

This multi-level club is one of the few spots open to the under 21 crowd, making it popular for GW and other local college students year after year. Its fifth annual Halloween party boasts D.J. Clue of MTV’s “Direct Effects” as one of its main draws. Cash and prizes will go to costume contest winners.

Tickets can be purchased in several ways. In response to student complaints about the high ticket price, 202 Productions struck a deal with Campus Snacks to sell tickets on Colonial Cash. Students can purchase $30 tickets at www.campussnacks.com, www.dchalloweenbash.com or at the door for $35.

While overcrowding has occurred in the past, junior and student promoter Erik Cohen said extra security personal have been hired to avoid this problem. Event is Sunday, Oct. 31, at 9 p.m.

Z104 Bosom Ball at 9:30 Club
815 V St. N.W.
No age restriction

Those who want to celebrate the holiday and make a difference should look into the Z104 Bosom Ball at the 9:30 Club. The event features concerts from Pat McGee Band, Bowling for Soup and Howie Day.

The event’s proceeds will go the GW “Mammovan,” a mobile mammogram facility. Prizes and cash will be awarded for best costume. General admission tickets can be purchased for $40 at www.AOLtickets.com. Event is Sunday, Oct. 31 at 8 p.m.

The Halloween Bar Crawl
Various locations
21 and over for bar entry, 18 and over for the After Party

D.C.’s largest Halloween bar crawl was organized by student-run GW promotion company ThirstySpecials.com, which started just last month. Participating locations include Lindy’s, McFaddens, Marshall’s, 51st State, Rhino Bar, Old Glory, Garrett’s and Mr. Smiths. There are no registration fees or cover charges to enter any of the bars, which will begin featuring their own drink specials at 9 p.m. While guests 21 and older may attend the bars, the 12 and 4 a.m. After Party at Cat au Pied Bistro is open to guests 18 and up. Invitations were specifically extended to students at GW, Georgetown and American universities. Event is Sunday, Oct 31.