Greek Briefs

Multicultural Greek Council expands

The Multicultural Greek Council expanded this year to include two historically black fraternities and a South Asian sorority.

The council is the governing body for GW’s eleven cultural and service-oriented Greek-letter organizations. This year’s new groups are historically black fraternities Alpha Kappa Alpha and Iota Nu Delta and South Asian sorority Zeta Phi Beta.

The council voted to include the new chapters about one month ago when they “presented themselves to the council and explained what they would contribute,” said Mo Kierstedt, president of Kappa Alpha Psi. Each of the eight existing chapters had one vote for whether to add each group.

Isaiah Pickens, the council’s vice president, said some groups were not accepted this semester because there were not enough students interested in joining them.

The Student Activities Center first approved all of the new chapters to be registered student organizations. All three chapters are also nationally recognized Greek-letter organizations. Most of the groups are citywide chapters with members from GW, Georgetown, Catholic and American universities.

Student Activities Center Director Tim Miller said the council has experienced “big growth” in the past two years.

“We really wanted to make sure there was an opportunity for everyone to get involved in Greek life,” Miller said.

-Jessica Calefati