Editorial: Kris Hart for ANC

During his years at GW, Kris Hart established himself as an important student advocate and a reputable public servant. Distinguishing himself as a Student Association senator, Hart parlayed his senatorial experience into a successful campaign for SA president. Often during his term – which while unspectacular still resulted in many tangible results for students – this page repeatedly found itself at odds with Hart. We are enthusiastic, however, in endorsing his candidacy for the Advisory Neighborhood Commission.

While a recognizable face for students, it is important to note Hart’s candidacy is based on a platform to improve Foggy Bottom, not to be a mouthpiece for the administration on the Commission. What distinguishes Hart’s candidacy most is that he recognizes student and resident concerns do not represent a zero-sum game.

Consistent with what The Hatchet repeatedly asserts in staff editorials, Hart believes the protests of a radical fringe of area residents marginalize legitimate concerns of Foggy Bottom citizens. Plagued by sub-par leadership, residents no longer have advocates among students in reasonable circles of the University administration and in bodies of city government. A main catalyst driving this reality is current Commission member Dorothy Miller – Hart’s opponent in the upcoming election.

Miller, a Foggy Bottom resident since World War II, is a passionate woman who genuinely feels her service on the ANC benefits the interests of area residents. Serving on the Commission for the last 12 years, circumstance gave Miller the ability to collaborate substantively with GW to ensure University conducted expansion in a manner that respected the needs of both GW and Foggy Bottom residents. Under her stewardship, however, University-neighborhood relationships have deteriorated to a historic low. Her patronizing comments alienate student and administrative allies to the detriment of the neighborhood. Residents need a change.

Hart’s election to the ANC would aid residents in repairing relations with what he terms “strategic partners.” Hart would lead residents in reaching out to students concerned with the increasing size of each year’s freshman class. On this issue, students and residents agree; students see a decrease in educational quality represented by larger classes and fewer sections while residents see an increase in general noise level. By repairing relationships with students on this issue, and no doubt others, area residents would find an important ally in leveraging change in University policy. Voting Hart onto the ANC will also allow Foggy Bottom residents to repair relationships with members of the city government. Improved community/city relations will ensure the University is unable to disregard residential concerns in future development projects.

Implicit signs point to a University willing to reconcile with its neighbors. GW recently opened its Office of District of Columbia and Foggy Bottom/West End Affairs. This new office, coupled with new leadership on the ANC, could represent a renewed opportunity to increase constructive collaboration between GW and Foggy Bottom.

Kris Hart has the experience and a nuanced understanding of how University-Foggy Bottom relations operate. His platform of reconciling with key allies to ensure bad leadership does not further betray Foggy Bottom residents is both noble and important. And while it is unfortunate that only students registered in the District of Columbia can vote in this election, we believe Hart is the best choice for all area residents.