GW Briefs

GW department analyzes satirical political videos

GW’s Institute for Politics, Democracy and the Internet released a report last week discussing the impact of independently produced political videos.

The report, “Under the Radar and Over the Top: Independently-Produced Political Videos in the 2004 Presidential Election,” found the videos to be increasing the partisan gap. Popular videos that poke fun at the candidates, such as JibJab’s “This Land is Your Land” and “Good to be in D.C.,” are typically broadcasted on the Internet, spread rapidly by e-mail and are viewed by millions.

The report also stated that anyone with moderate technical skills and $1,000 worth of equipment can produce the videos. It added that producers of these videos tend to be more ideologically extreme than the typical citizen.

On Oct. 20, the institute hosted a panel of political and web video experts to discuss the new form of political media.

The report from the institute, which is part of the Graduate School of Political Management, can be viewed at www.ipdi.org and a collection of videos can be seen at www.ipdi.org/videolibrary.

Elliot School to host psychology seminar about Bush

The Elliott School of International Affairs will host a political psychology seminar on Monday that will analyze President Bush’s personality.

Two political biographers, GW psychology professor Justin Frank and City University of New York political science professor Stanley Renshon, will discuss their opposing views on the president’s political behavior. Jerrold Post, director of GW’s political psychology program, will moderate the discussion, which will take place from noon to 2 p.m. in Marvin Center Room 301.

Law lecture to feature Spanish Ambassador

The Spanish Ambassador to the U.S., Carlos Westendorp y Cabeza, will address the relationship between the U.S. his country in a law enrichment lecture on Wednesday.

The lecture, “Spain’s Socialist Government and the United States,” will discuss the future of Spain’s newly elected socialist government. Westendorp y Cabeza is a member of the Spanish Socialist Workers Party and was appointed to his post on July 30.

The lecture will take place from 4 to 6 p.m. at Tasher Hall.

-Caitlin Carroll